After coming to Guangdong, I fell in love with delicious Cantonese porridge. The most yummy bowl of beef congee I have ever had is in a humble shop in Guangzhou. Later, when I went to Hong Kong and Macau, I also visited the well known eateries on internet, and never disappointed.
I wonder how they can make the beef so tender. I tried serveral times to cook the beef congee in my kitchen and failed for the hard beef. At last I found the marinating process is the key to success. We need to add starch, baking soda, shredded ginger, water, and oil to the beef, and then massage it vigorously with our hands for at least ten minutes. Let these ingredients go into the beef. It is better to store the massaged beef in the refrigerator for several hours before making the porridge.
In Cantonese congee, you can hardly see the whole grain of rice, because the water and rice are completely fused together. So it is especially suitable for children, people with poor digestion, and people with weak physique.
Some people say that the most healing thing in the world is food first, and words second! For me serving tasty beef porridge which can bring comfort is definitely one of the happy moments I enjoyed in my life. what are your comfort food?
Cantonese Beef Congee
- An instant pot
- Pot for boiling
- 85 gram beef, sliced
- 1 tablespoon starch
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon soda powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 gram ginger, shredded for congee
- 6 gram ginger, shredded for marinating beef
- 40 gram rice, 700 ml water for making congee in the instant pot
- Green Scallion, chopped for decorating
- Add 40 gram rice and 700 ml water to a instant pot, press congee button, until cooked through
- Add ginger, soda powder, light soy sauce, oil, starch to the beef sliced, Massage the beef vigorously with your hands for about 10 minutes
- Blanching the marinated beef（Optional） If you use paper to dry the beef, also you don’t need to blanch it.
- Transfer to the cooked congee, add ginger, 1 teaspoon salt, boiling for 10-15 minutes until cooked through.
- Top with scallion chopped