If you go to the vegetables market in the northeastern region of China, you can see hot layered pancakes being sold everywhere. It can be seen how the Northeast people like it. I also love its soft and chewy texture with slightly salty taste. It can be served with soup or wrap meat or dishes with it. The deliciousness is opened instantly.
There has always been a saying in China that southerners eat rice and northerners eat wheaten food. Wheaten food appears on the dinner table of northern families far more often than rice. I also want to explain the tradition of serveing rice in the south and eating flour in the north of China from the perspective of traditional Chinese medicine. Because the weather in the southern region of China is hot most of the time and the rice is cool in nature, people living there eat it more. In the north, the weather is cold most of the time, and the flour is warm in nature, so people living there eat flour more. It turns out that China’s thousands of years of cultural heritage have always taught us how to live a smarter and healthier life. Isn’t it amazing?
The softness and chewiness of the layered pancake should come from the salt and warm water added to the flour. The rich layers come from how many times the thin pie is rolled. So if you want to get a pancake with many layers, roll it as many times as possible. :)
- Makeing a dough
- Making layered pancakes and baking
Chinese Layered Pancake(筋饼）
- frying pan
- 350 gram all-purpose flour
- 220 ml(according to the water absorption of the flour) lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoon oil
- Some flour（sprinkle)
- Add lukewarm water ,salt to the flour, stirring with chopsticks, then make a dough, cover with plastic wrap, let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 3 sections, take one section
- Make one sections into the thin pie with a rolling pin, brush the oil on the face, then sprinkle the flour evenly, then roll into a cylinder in one direction
- Coil the cylinder together, then make a thin pie with the rolling pin
- Repetition, get 3 thin pie.
- Brush the oil on the frying pan, heat over lowest heat, then add one pie, pan-frying for both sides until cooked through.
- Serve warm.