Slowly simmered dishes in a casserole are best for the cold winter. Today’s Chinese Cabbage and Vermicelli Stew with Pork can be said to be a famous dish in the Northeast area of China . Although it does not have the exquisiteness of Huaiyang cuisine, and cannot be seen in the courts, its important position in the Northeast home cooking is unshakable. Just like Chinese Pork Stew with String Beans, seemingly ordinary ingredients are combined to create an extraordinary taste. Maybe it’s not so amazing, but enough to warm our stomachs and hearts.
Anyone who has used a casserole made of clay knows that the soup cooked in a casserole is more fragrant than in an ordinary pot. So in this dish, I stir fried the cabbage in the wok for a while, then transferred to the casserole, added water and simmered slowly. Watching the steam wafting from the stewing cabbage and vermicelli seems to be able to warm the whole winter.
How to prepare
I choosed the thicker vermicelli made of sweet potato which is more resistant to cooking. Of course, other vermicelli is also okay, but control the time and don’t cook it too long.
- Stir fry the cabbage in the wok for 1-2 minutes, then transfer to the casserole, then add water and simmer.
- Don’t cook it too long, just as the vermicelli is cooked.
- When cutting the pork, separate the fat and the thin. Stir fry the fatty pork until it turns into residue, then add the lean pork.
Chinese Cabbage and Vermicelli Stew with Pork
- Wok for stir-frying
- A casserole
- Chinese cabbage about 400 gram, sliced for bite of size
- Pork about 220 gram with fatty and lean meat, he ratio of fat to lean is 3:7 or 4:6.
- Vermicelli made of sweet potato, about 110 gram
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 star anise
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 gram ginger, sliced
- 15 gram green scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the wok, heat over medium heat, add fat pork, stir-frying until the fat pork turn into residue.
- Add lean pork, ginger sliced, keep stir-frying until cooked,
- Add green scallions, star anise, cabbage sliced, stir-frying until the cabbage sliced are just wilted.
- Transfer to the casserole, add 2 cups water, vermicelle, then keep simmering, until the vermicelli is just cooked through, about 7-8 minutes, trun off the heat.
- Serve warm.