My childhood was not a time when snacks were plentiful, and it was a pleasure to treat dough twist as a snack. Dough twist has a certain share in traditional Chinese flour food, and there are many varieties which included small dough twist, crispy dough twist and soft dough twist etc.Today’s dough twist recipe should belongs to soft dough twist, though the fresh ones are crispy just like dough sticks.
To me, the twist is still delicious after being heated in the microwave. The ingredients are not complicated but the steps of making plait style is a bit difficult for the first cooking. After trying a few times, I learned that the main point is to make in one direction. I think it must be easier for a woman who often braid her daughter’s hair than a man. :)
I have been thinking that if I choose my career again, I might choose to be a professional Chinese pastry chef, because making flour into a variety of exquisite shapes and delicacies, I really enjoy it！However, whether you are a professional chef or an amateur chef who cooks for your family and yourself, enjoying the cooking is a happy thing, is that right?
Chinese dough twist
- Pot for deep-fried
- 300 gram all purpose flour
- one egg
- 40 gram sugar( if you like sweet ,more plus)
- yeast 3 gram
- 1 tablespoon oil for brushing the dough
- 100 ml water
- Make flour, egg, yeast ,water into a dough
- Cut into about 5-6 sections
- Take one sections, Roll the dough into thin strips, then twist in one direction to form a braid.
- Cover with plastic wrap, then it stand at room temperature, then fermented to double size
- Add more oil to a pot, heat over high medium heat, deep-frying until cooked through
- Serve immediately