I always want to eat some dishes with soup in such cold weather. This Chinese pork balls in chicken stock is a particularly famous traditional dish that almost every family can cook. These pork balls were originally called Sunflower Chop Meat, later renamed Lion’s Head which belonged to HuaiYang Cuisine.
The authentic version added a little water chestnut chopped, and I added some lotus root minced to my recipe today. I think adding some vegetables is healthier without affecting its deliciousness. Maybe Braised Pork Balls in Gravy is more famous, but today’s meat balls in chicken stock is suitable for winter.
We always discuss the fat-to-thin ratio for minced pork, some people say 3:7, some people say 2:8, I think 2:8 is more appropriate. Of course, if you like pure lean meat, it doesn’t matter. Usually buy pork then chop them into mince by knife, the taste will be better than by grinder. The most traditional method for minced pork is to cut into slices, then cut into strips, and then chop. They call it cut roughly and chop finely.
A bowl of rice and one pork ball in chicken soup will bring you a warm winter!
About chicken stock
I bought knorr chicken soup cubes from the super markert to save time. If you have chicken stock cooked by yourself, that would be better.
I used a steamer and casserole. Casserole help to get more delicious porkballs in chicken stock when simming on low heat. Try it then you will love it.
How to make round pork balls
Throwing the meatball to and fro dozens of times with both hands can make it better round. Egg white and starch also helped shape of the meatballs.
Chinese pork balls in chicken stock
- A casserole
- A steamer
- For pork balls: 90 gram lotus root, chopped
- 460 gram pork, minced(the fat-to-thin ratio, 2:8)
- 3 gram ginger, chopped
- 10 gram scallion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon starch
- one egg, egg white only
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon light soy sauce
- For soup: One baby bok choy, wash and drained
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- Add all the porkballs ingredients to a big bowl, stirring in one direction, mixed well
- Throwing the meatball to and fro dozens of times with both hands can make it better round, all the minced pork made about 5 big balls.
- Add chicken stock cubes to a wok, add 10 cups water, bring to a boil,
- Add the porkballs to a steamer, steaming for 20 minutes after boiling water.
- Prepare a casserole, add the soup and balls ,keep boiling on low heat for 30 minutes, add baby bok choy before turn off the fire.