Today’s recipe is Chinese potstickers with celery fillings which is one of my favorite foods. It seems that pot stickers are more popular because of the crispy skin. But from a health perspective, boiled dumplings are better. But I love both. Northerners can’t resist the temptation of wheaten food.
Strictly speaking, potstickers with rectangular shape are different from pan-fried dumplings. And the fillings of the pot stickers can be exposed, that is, it does not need to be completely wrapped in the dumpling skin. The pan-frying way keeps the filling intact.
Among many dumpling fillings, the aroma of celery is more prominent. Just one downside, there will be some water overflowing from the celery. So in the process of making fillings and dumplings, it is necessary to speed up the completion.
An important step in making potstickers is to add water or starch water and cook them after pan-frying to make the potstickers cooked through. Of course, adding starch water or flour water will create the effect of lacy dumplings. I just added water today but it has the same nice taste.
Whether it’s breakfast or dinner, a plate of pot stickers, a bowl of porridge, this is the perfect time to enjoy a meal.
- Making the dough
- Making fillings
- Making wrappers
- Making potstickers
- Pan-frying potstickers
Chinese Potstickers with Celery Fillings
- Pot with a lid for pan-frying
- For fillings
- 500 gram celery, remove the roots
- One scallion, about 100 gram, chopped
- Pork minced, about 300 gram（The ratio of fat to thin is about 3:7, or 2:8）
- 1/2 tablespoon pepper powder
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 15 gram ginger, chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- For the dough
- 500 gram all purpose flour
- 200 ml water or more(according to the water absorption of flour)
- For Pan-Frying
- About 1/3 cup oil
- 2 cups water
- Making fillings
- Blanching the celery, drained, then chopped
- Mixed the pork minced, light soy sauce, ginger chopped, scallion chopped, oil and salt, fully stirred
- Add the chopped celery to the pork minced, mixed well.
- Making the wrappers
- Add flour to a big bowl, add breaded egg , While stirring, slowly add water, and finally knead into a dough（the amount of water is based on the water absorption of different flours, not too soft）， let it rest for 20-30 miutes.
- Take ne part of the dough, knead it into a cylinder, divide it into multiple small cylinders, flatten it, and make them into wrappers with a rolling pin
- Add the right amount of stuffing on each wrapper, lift both sides of the wrapper to allow the middle part to glue together, made about 60 postickers
- Pan Frying Potstickers
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pot for pan-frying, arrange the pot stickers neatly in the pot, heat over medium heat, pan-frying the wrappers, until the bottom turns golden brown.
- Add about 100 ml water to the pot, cover the lid, boiling until the water is dry, turn off the heat, transfer to a big plate.
- Repeat the above steps until all the potstickers cooked through.
- Serve warm with vinegar or chili paste.