Today’s Chinese Shortcrust Pastry with sugar fillings belongs to Chinese dim sum called SuPi Dian Xin(酥皮点心） which is an important part of traditional Chinese desserts. I remember when I was a child, when the Chinese New Year came, the gifts between relatives and friends were mostly pastries.
Traditional pastries uses lard, and the crispiness of the cake is much better than those made with vegetable oil. My recipe today used vegetable oil, part of it is for health reasons, because nowadays pigs grow up fast on feed. If you can get the fat of pigs that are slowly raised in the country and not grown on industrial feed, it would be better to use the rendered lard to make pastries.
I often bake such dim sum with sugar fillings for tea, because pastry with tea is a great choice, of course, if you like coffee, they are also perfect.
How to make
The skin of Chinese dim sum is usually divided into two parts. If you use more water to make the dough, you will get watery oily wrappers(One part). If you only use oil to make the dough , you will have oily crispy wrappers（another part).
- Watery oily wrappers dough(One part)
- Oily crispy wrappers dough（another part).
- The fillings-The special thing about the fillings is that it is not only sugar, but also flour and a little oil, so that it will not melt after baking
- The instructions for pastry-First, put the oily wrappers dough(another part) on the watery oily wrappers dough(one part), wrap it into a dough, and roll it into a cake with a rolling pin, Fold , then roll again and again, which will make the wrappers have more layers and make the pastries more crispy. You can also refer to the method in one my pastry cooking-Pastry with Chinese Date Paste to make the wrappers.
Chinese Shortcrust Pastry with Sugar Fillings
- Oven for baking
- Water oily wrappers( one part）
- 250 gram flour
- 35 gram oil
- 130 ml water
- Oily wrapper dough(another part)
- 170 gram flour
- 40 gram oil
- 100 gram sugar
- 50 gram flour
- 20 gram sesame cooked
- 15 gram oil
- Add the ingredients for one part dough to a big bowl, make into a dough, cover with wrap, let it rest for 30 minutes
- Add the ingredients for another part dough to another big bowl, make into a dough, cover with wrap, let it stand for 30 minutes too.
- Mixed the ingredients for the fillings well
- Put the one part dough on another part dough, make into a dough, rolling it , make into thin cake, then fold and rolling it again and again, at last, make into 16 balls, press ,then they became skins for pastries, put the fillings on each wrapper, package into a ball, then press them into cakes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° , roast for 30 minutes, the time depends on your oven temperature.