Today’s recipe is soy sauce chicken from Cantonese cuisine. In the Chinese language, the pronunciation of chicken is similar to 吉, which means auspicious. Therefore chicken is indispensable in important festivals and festive occasions.Such as Chinese new year banquets or wedding receptions.
Chicken is also valued for its perceived health benefits in traditional Chinese medicine. It is considered a high-quality source of lean protein and is believed to nourish the body, boost Qi (vital energy), and support overall well-being.
Well done Soy Sauce Chicken has glistening caramelized skin that showcases the beautiful color imparted by the soy sauce, while the meat remains moist and flavorful. The rich soy sauce melds with the juicy chicken to create the perfect balance of saltiness and sweetness.
Cantonese-style soy sauce chicken can not only be enjoyed alone, but also tasted. It can also add depth and flavor to a variety of dishes. Serve with steaming white rice for an easy and satisfying meal.
Whether enjoyed at a bustling restaurant in Guangzhou or cooked with care in a home kitchen, Cantonese Soy Sauce Chicken is a Cantonese classic. The ingredients are simple but the taste is excellent.
- One chicken, choose chickens with a short growth period, not old hens. It takes a long time to cook an old hen.
- Brown rock sugar, the production process of yellow rock sugar is relatively traditional. After a certain period of low-temperature cooking, it is slowly dissolved and solidified with boiling water. Therefore, it has a certain caramel flavor and its color is closer to the color of sugarcane juice.
- Light soy sauce, light soy sauce is a common kitchen seasoning used by Chinese people. It can color chicken and also add saltiness.
- Ginger peeled, is to remove the fishy smell of chicken and increase the fragrance,
- Scallion, green onions or Chinese scallions are fine, and the chopped scallions make the egg pancakes more delicious.
- Cooking wine, is to remove the fishy smell of chicken.You can choose Shaoxing cooking wine. White wine or hard liquor can also be used instead
- Oil，just choose the oil commonly used in Chinese cooking, such as soybean oil, sunflower oil, etc.
1. Heat a wok over medium heat, when the oil is hot, add scallion sections, ginger, stir fry until they are fragrant, add light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, cooking wine, brown rock sugar, bring to a boil.
2. Put the chicken in the wok, pour the sauce on the chicken with a soup spoon, repeat this action for at least 10 minutes.
3. Then cover and cook until the sauce is almost dry, turning the chicken over once during the process.
4. Turn off the heat.
Cantonese Soy Sauce Chicken
- Wok for stir-frying
- One chicken, 100 g
- Brown rock sugar, 100 g
- Light soy sauce, 16 tbsp
- Ginger, peeled, 30 g
- Scallion, 9 g, Cut into sections, about 5cm long
- Cooking wine, 1/2 tbsp
- Oil, 1 tbsp
- 1. Heat a wok over medium heat, when the oil is hot, add scallion sections, ginger, stir fry until they are fragrant, add light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, cooking wine, brown rock sugar, bring to a boil.
- 2. Put the chicken in the wok, pour the sauce on the chicken with a soup spoon, repeat this action for at least 10 minutes.
- 3. Then cover and cook until the sauce is almost dry, turning the chicken over once during the process.
- .4. Turn off the heat.