Eating spring pancakes is one of the food customs in many areas of China to celebrate the Beginning of Spring solar term. For the Chinese, spring cakes can roll all kinds of dishes, including stir-fried vegetables, meat, cold dishes, etc., especially wild vegetables that have just grown in spring. Such eating way has the meaning of welcoming spring and looking forward to a good harvest.
The spring cake can be thicker or thinner, depending on your preference. If it is used to roll roast duck, usually as thin as paper. The cakes I made today is slightly thicker, for I love each bite of chewy texture of them. The structure of the spring cake rolled with dishes are like dumplings, with a combination of dough and fillings, so it is equally delicious. Every time I make spring cakes, potato shreds stir fried must be indispensable. I really like how they match together. There is an ad slogan: Spring cakes can roll everything. Try to roll your favorite dishes, you will get a satisfying eating experience.
The spring cake originated in the Western Jin Dynasty and flourished in the Tang Dynasty. Of the four ancient civilizations, only the Chinese culture that included a rich food culture has been passed down all the time. While tasting the spring cake, we are also reminiscing about its cultural heritage and history. I also love this sense of ritual.
- The water added to the flour must be boiling water.
- The two dough cakes should be brushed with oil, and then stacked together, so that they can be easily separated after they are cooked. The spring cake is a little burnt on one side, and tender and smooth on the other side.
- When brazing, you’d better use the minimum heat so that it won’t burn.
- Use a frying non-stick pan.
Chinese Spring Pancakes
- frying pan
- 250 gram flour
- 200 ml boiling water
- 1tablespoon oil
- Add 200 ml boiling water to the flour, stirring with chopstickes, then make a dough, cover with plastic wrap, let it stand in room for half an hour.
- Make the dough into a cylinder, cut into 12 sections
- Make the sections into ground cakes.
- Brush the oil to one cake, then stack one cake on top of another one.
- Make the two cakes into one thin cake, total get 6 thin cake
- Heat the frying pan over minimum heat. pan-frying the cakes for both sides, When you see a bulge in the middle, the cake is basically cooked through.
- Separate the cake from the middle, get 12 spring pancakes.
- Serve warm.