Mantou and Chinese steamed buns with scallions are two common staple foods that are served with congee or soup in China. We call it Hua Juan(flower rolls) because its layer style looks like a flower opened. The difference with mantou is that it has a little salty taste.
Making these flower rolls reminded me of my childhood when Grandma had prepared a family dinner that lacked staple food and asked me to buy Hua Juan in the nearby factory canteen. This warm picture containing the moments of life remained in my memory. Some people say that often remembering the past means you are old, is that right?
How many ingredients should we prepare for Hua Juan
Only need all-purpose flour( normal flour), water, yeast, green scallion chopped, a pinch of salt, vegetable oil. Why we used oil to add many layers of Hua Juan. The fragrance of scallion with oil is irresistible, just as scallion oil noodles and shredded radish with scallion oil.
How to make the style of Hua Juan
Making dough is not difficult. Only let the dough rest for at least half an hour.
First, fold the dough wrapper in one direction, just like folding a piece of paper. Then use a knife to cut into equal parts. The key step is to fold the two parts together, pressing them down in the middle with chopsticks, then holding the ends in both hands, bending them down ,and letting the ends bond. If you try it once, it’s easy actually.
- Wait three minutes before removing the lid of the steamer. This step is to keep the style of the Hua Juan, otherwise, the surface of Hua Juan will cave in.
How to preserve
- You can do more at a time and put them in the freezer, when you want it, take them out and microwave them.
Chinese Steamed Buns with Scallions( Hua Juan)
- 500 gram flour
- 1 cup water
- 5 gram dried yeast
- 4 green scallions ,chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil, 6 tablespoon
- Add water and yeast to the flour, make a dough, cover with a lid, let it rest for half an hour
- Make the dough a big thin wrapper
- Add salt to the oil, brush the oil with salt on the wrapper evenly
- Sprinkle the chopped green scallion evenly on wrapper
- Fold the wrapper in one direction
- Use a knife to cut it into sections of equal size
- Stack two sections together
- Pressing them down in the middle with chopsticks,
- Holding the ends in both hands,
- Bending them down and letting the ends bond.
- Transfer to a steamer cold water, bring to a boil, steaming them for 15 minutes.