Tea eggs(Cha Ye Dan) in one instant pot are often seen in front of a breakfast stall or in a convenience store. Some people say that the biggest difference between Chinese convenience stores and Japanese convenience stores are one pot of tea eggs and fragrance of tea eggs wafting in the stores. Many Chinese people like to eat boiled eggs cooking in an egg cooker or water directly for breakfast every morning. As it takes longer time to serve flavourous tea eggs.
Apart from eating rice dumplings in my hometown during the Qingming Festival, people also eat boiled tea eggs. As far as I am concerned, the feeling of parting is attached to the tea eggs, because I remember that when I was young, my mother would cook a pot of tea eggs as food on the road for member of my family who were traveling by train.
I like the taste of tea to be stronger, and I will add more tea. Surely it is ordinary tea. Of course, if you want to make tea eggs into aristocratic snacks and add more expensive tea, I have no objection.:) The tea eggs need to be boiled for an hour, and then left to stand overnight to get the beautiful marble pattern and top flavor.
Spices for tea eggs I put cinnamon, star anise, bay leaves, Some people add shiitake mushrooms, tsaoko, fennel, licorice, You can try to find the taste of your own delicious tea eggs.
What kind of tea
Generally choose red tea, for its strong fragrance, resistant to cooking.
The eggs should be eaten as soon as possible and not left for too long.
Chinese tea eggs ( Cha Ye Dan)
- A Instant Pot or pot for boiling
- 10 eggs, washed
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 star anise
- 1 tablespoon ligh soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 15 gram red tea
- water over eggs about 6 cups
- Add water and eggs to a pot, boiling for 5 minutes until cooked through
- Crack the eggs with a spoon
- Add all the ingredients and water to a pot, keep boiling for one hour over small heat
- Turn off the fire then let them stay overnight.
- Heating when serving
- If use the instant pot, press the congee button and keep boiling, then left for hours.