The Chinese name for this dish is Guo Bao Rou（锅包肉）which is so famous that it can be the representative of Northeastern dishes. The ingredients used are relatively simple in meat dishes. The point is to cook, do you have the ability to fry the meat slices so that the outside is very crispy and the inside is tender.
If you go to restaurants in the Northeast area of China, this dish is on almost every menu. As a dish to test the skill of chefs in the Northeast of China, the success of this dish depends on the skill and experience of the chef. The sweet and sour sauce should also be adjusted just right. There are basically two types, some with tomato sauce, and some without, all of which are equally delicious.
What I want to say is that I love this dish so much. Pork with a crispy skin, dipped in sweet and sour sauce, you can’t help but eat it piece by piece. If you haven’t tried it, do try it, you won’t be disappointed.
It’s still more difficult to cook than it looks. I cooked this recipe many times to get the points below:
When cutting, the pork slices should not be too thin, about 2-3 mm is better.
Add some white egg to corn starch.
The best starch is potato starch.
Double Cooked Pork Slices
- Pot for deep-fried
- Wok for stir-frying
- For the pork
- 500 gram lean pork, slices about 2-3 mm thin for every piece
- 1 cup potato starch, 2 cup water
- 2 cups oil for fried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- One egg, only use egg white
- 2 teaspoon shaoxing wine
- For the sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoon sugar
- 6 tablespoon vinegar
- 10 gram scallion, shredded
- 3 tablespoon water
- One part of one carrot, about 15 gram, shredded
- 2 parsley, coarsely grated
- 5 gram scallions, shredded
- Marinate the pork slices with shaoxing wine and 1/2 teaspoon salt for 10 minutes.
- Add water to potato starch, set aside for 20 minutes until layered, Drain the upper layer of water, only keep the starch liquid,.
- Add the pork slices and egg white to starch liquid . Make each piece of meat evenly starchy.
- Add oil to a wok, heat the wok over medium heat, fry the pork in turn till harder, fish out.
- Heat the wok over high , add pork, fried again, untill brown, remove to a plate.
- Mixed the sauce ingredients well, add the sauce to another wok, bring to boil.
- Add fried pork,carrot shredded, parsley chopped, scallions shredded, toss the wok for 2-3 times, let every piece pork be in sauce, remove to the plate immediately.