This Fried Sticky Rice Cake with Red Bean Paste which is called(Er Duo Yan Zha Gao)is a celebrated snack in Tianjin city of China. If translate this name into english, it means Ear Hole Fried Cake. In fact, this snack does not contain any meaty ingredients, let alone pig ear hole or other ears. The name comes from Ear Hole Hutong where the snack bar were founded.
But in the Northeast of China, we call it fried cake(You Zha Gao) which has an irreplaceable place in my childhood snacks memory. The golden crispy skin, soft rice cake inside, and sweet red bean paste fillings will make you never forget its deliciousness. You must eat the rice cake just out of the deep frying pan to enjoy them. It seems that some comforting delicacies are always inseparable from deep-frying way which sounds unhealthy. I think it is not a big fault to eat it occasionally. :)
The advantage of street food is that you can always eat freshly cooked food. We make it at home whenever we want to eat. This is the meaning of the recipe. Fried cake with a long history and well-known name is not complicated. The ingredients only have sticky rice flour, warm water, sugar, yeast, red bean paste fillings, and a lot of oil.
The focus is how to put the red bean paste stuffing into the glutinous rice wrappers to make cakes. My practical experience tells me, use flexible hands, apply oil, do it boldly, and you will succeed.
Where to get the red bean paste
If you have time, you can make the fillings yourself. Also you may buy it online to save time. The sugar for red bean paste according to what you neeed, more or less. Usually 100 gram sugar for 250 gram red bean paste.
- When making the cakes, We should put some cooking oil on our hands. The operation will be easily.
- Let it rest for 20 minutest after make the flour, water, and yeast into a dough.
- Also let the cakes rest for 20 minutes in a plastic wrap before deep- frying.
Fried Sticky Rice Cake with Red Bean Paste(Er Duo Yan Zha Gao)
- Pot for deep-fried
- 300 gram red bean paste( added sugar)
- 200 gram sticky rice flour
- 3 gram yeast
- 175 gram water( warm)
- 10 gram sugar
- Add sticky rice flour, sugar, yeast, warm water to a big bowl, make them into a dough.
- Cover with the plastic wrapper. let it rest for 20 minutes
- Apply oil on hands
- Divide the dough into 10 parts, make them into 10 wrappers
- Make the red bean paste into 10 balls, let every warpper inculde one filling ball, make 10 pies.
- Add enough oil (about 3 cups oil) to a wok, heat over high-medium heat, deep-frying the cakes, until browon for both sides and cooked through
- Serve immediatedly
More desserts with red bean paste
Subscribe to my newsletter and find me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter for all of the lastest updates.