Tangyuan is a Chinese traditional distinctive snack which express family reunion for its round shape at China’s traditional Lantern Festival. In North area, we call it ” Yuan Xiao” which are harder sticky rice balls than Tang Yuan of South region. Different from the way of Tang Yuan, northerners use stuffing to roll glutinous rice flour many times to get Yuanxiao. I love Tang Yuan more for its soft texture from the inside to outside.
You will find that I love red bean paste more than others fillings in kinds of pastries. I admit that I also can’t resist the sweetness of black sesame filling, but if two kinds of glutinous rice balls are placed in front of me, I will definitely eat red bean paste filling first. I believe you must also have your favorite food or ingredient.
Maybe the filling will leak out at the beginning, but you will become a skilled worker after making several balls. Smear some oil on hands when operating to make easily. No need yeast in this recipe, after making the dought, start to make balls. It only takes 20 minutes to get a bowl of traditional Chinese dim sum with warm good meaning.
How much water for making the dough
The water absorption of flour is different, and the amount of water required is also not the same. You can add it slowly, as long as you can get a smooth dough. Generally 100 gram flour, add 80 gram water
Glutinous Rice Balls with Red Bean Paste (Tang Yuan)
- Pot for boiling
- 100 gram sticky rice flour
- 80 gram water( according to different glutinous rice flour
- 80 gram sweet red bean paste filling
- Add glutinous rice flour to a big bowl, add water slowly, make a dough.
- Make red bean paste into about 10 balls for fillings
- Make the dough into 10 sections, compress and make 10 wrapper, put each filling ball on each wrapper, make 10 balls with fillings
- Add enough water to a pot , bring to boil, add balls, boiling again, then boiling untill cooked through about 3-4 minutes.