Hot and sour soup is such a well-known recipe abroad. For what? Maybe for it is an egg drop soup, or a combination of sour and hot taste, or a group of ingredients. I thought making this soup only because I just feel cooler autumn wind in my city.
How many ingredients we should prepare for this soup
Different chef use different ingredients: lily buds, enoki mushroom, black fungus, tofu, shiitake, pork shredded, ham shredded, tomato, egg, ground white pepper, vinegar, salt, cornstarch, and so on. The condiments in my recipe include ground white pepper, vinegar, salt, and cornstarch. I considered the hot taste comes from the ground white pepper, the sour taste from vinegar, the thick texture from cornstarch. Though the tomato added a little sour taste, it can’t be stronger than vinegar.
The vegetables I only used what I had. As long as you have an egg , pinch of starch, salt, ground white pepper and some vinegar, you will get a bowl of hot and sour soup.
Serve with which wheaten food
Having with the Mantou or Scallion Pancake is perfect. The rice is not suitable for this soup, it is not the authentic Chinese eating way. But if you like rice, also be fine. Nothing can compare to what I like, right?
Mixed the cornstarch and water before cooking
Two tablespoon cornstarch or potatostarch and six tablespoon water should be mixed before cooking. Don’t add starch directly, you will not get the thick texture soup. The egg should be fully beaten, then the egg drop will be nice in the end.
Hot and Sour Soup
- About 180 gram tomato, peeled, chopped
- 35 gram shiitake, shredded
- 25 gram soaked black fungus, shredded
- 40 gram lean pork, shredded
- 40 gram tofu, shreeded
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- one egg, beaten fully
- 2 tablespoon starch, add 6 tablespoon water,mixed
- 30 gram lily buds after soaking, cut in half
- 2 cup water
- one cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- Soak dried lily buds, black fungus for about half an hour, shredded
- add 1/2 tablespoon oil to a wok, add chopped tomato, stirring until melt
- add water, bring to a boil, add shredded shiitake, black fungus, lily buds, pork, tofu, keep boiling until they are cooked through, about 2-3 minutes
- Add ground white pepper, light soy sauce ,vinegar, salt, starch water, strring mixed well, bring to a boil again
- Pour egg liquid slowly, turn off the heat when bring to a boil. transfer to a bowl, drop the sesame oil and ganish with cilantro chopped.
- Serve with mantou.