For those who like to eat chili, every meal cannot do without it. Whether it is chili oil, chili sauce, or chili salad, each one can be served with rice. Today we will learn how to make chili oil that can be used to mix cold dishes, noodles,and stirred in the wonton soup.
The chili oil have many versons, the northern version is relatively simple, while the Sichuan version will add some spices. Today’s recipe comes from the place where hot peppers are abundant.
About the fresh chili powder
I bought the dried whole red peppers, then I use a wall breaker to grind them into coarse powder. Make sure that the speed is set to the lowest gear, 5 seconds is enough, otherwise the chili will become very fine powder and it will not taste good.
How many spices are needed
In order to increase the fragrance, we added five kinds of spices, namely cinnamon, grass fruit, cumin, bay leaf, and star anise. Some people grind these spices into powder and add them to the oil, but our version only uses the oil that has been fried.
Where to buy
You can find them on amazon or nearby asian markets.
1. The chili oil can be bottled after it is allowed to cool, and the flavor will be better after one week.
2. The chili powder should be coarser, it will taste better.
3. Be sure to find a bowl with a big mouth, otherwise it is difficult to control the temperature, the pepper will be burnt by the oil,
4. While pouring hot oil on the chili powder, stir it continuously, otherwise it will burn.
5. If you like sesame and want to add it to the oil, Sesame must be stir fried first to burst the fragrance. If you put it in the end, you can only reverse the good-looking effect.
- A blender
- A Pot for deep-fried
- 600 ml oil
- 160 gram chili powder
- 7 cloves garlic
- 30 gram green scallion
- 20 gram ginger, sliced
- one grass fruit
- 5 pieces bay leaf
- 2 star anise
- 4 gram cumin
- Add all the oil to the pot, heat over medium and small fire
- Add all the spices, green scallion, ginger, garlic to the oil
- Keep deep-frying until brown, trun off the fire. use a fine mesh to filter out all the spices.
- Turn on the fire and continue to heat the oil, When the heat reaches about 200F above
- Turn off the frie at once, then splash hot oil on the chili noodles while stirring.
- When all the oil is poured into the chili, the work is done.