Lotus Root Stir Fry
Lotus root is a common ingredient which is often used to make Chinese Keel Lotus with Peanut Soup by cantonese people. I also love stir-frying way to get crispy texture with a little sweet taste. More importantly, Chinese traditional medicine believes that lotus root has high medicinal value which included hemostasis, nourishing the body, and aid digestion.
Shopping at the vegeatbles market in which a variety vegetables are stacked is one of my favorite things. I found that the price of lotus root with mud is more expensive than without mud there. The seller told me that excess mud could keep them fresh for longer. If you cook it right away, lotus root with mud is all right.
Wash and cut the lotus root carefully
Lotus root grows in the mud, so rinse the holes in it with water carefully. Peeling is necessary. When slicing, it should be as thin as possible so that it will cook through quickly.
Simple ingredients for cooking lotus root in this dish
For me, if cook vegetables, maybe only oil, salt,garlic chopped or green scallion chopped, no more others. Then I will get natural taste of the ingredients. In this lotus root stir fry, I used garlic and green scallion, oil, salt.
The time of stir-frying should be five minutes or more. If they are dried when stir-frying at the end, add a little water to prevent sticking to the wok. As we know, lotus root contains starch.
Lotus Root Stir Fry
- Wok for stir-frying
- One lotus root sections, about 300 gram, peeled, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- one small green scallion, chopped
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add oil to wok, heat over high heat untill just beginning to smoke
- Add chopped garlic and scallion, strring for 2 seconds
- Add lotus root slices, turn the heat down to medium-low heat, strring often until cooked through about 5-7 minutes, if they are dried, add a little water.
- Serve with rice or you like.