Lotus root is a common ingredient which is often used to make Chinese Keel Lotus with Peanut Soup by cantonese people. I also love stir-frying way to get crispy texture with a little sweet taste. More importantly, Chinese traditional medicine believes that lotus root has high medicinal value which included hemostasis, nourishing the body, and aid digestion.
Shopping at the vegeatbles market in which a variety vegetables are stacked is one of my favorite things. I found that the price of lotus root with mud is more expensive than without mud there. The seller told me that excess mud could keep them fresh for longer. If you cook it right away, lotus root with mud is all right.
Wash and cut the lotus root carefully
Lotus root grows in the mud, so rinse the holes in it with water carefully. Peeling is necessary. When slicing, it should be as thin as possible so that it will cook through quickly.
Simple ingredients for cooking lotus root in this dish
For me, if cook vegetables, maybe only oil, salt,garlic chopped or green scallion chopped, no more others. Then I will get natural taste of the ingredients. In this lotus root stir fry, I used garlic and green scallion, oil, salt.
The time of stir-frying should be five minutes or more. If they are dried when stir-frying at the end, add a little water to prevent sticking to the wok. As we know, lotus root contains starch.
Chinese Steamed Buns with Scallions( Hua Juan)
- 500 gram flour
- 1 cup water
- 5 gram dried yeast
- 4 green scallions ,chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil, 6 tablespoon
- Add water and yeast to the flour, make a dough, cover with a lid, let it rest for half an hour
- Make the dough a big thin wrapper
- Add salt to the oil, brush the oil with salt on the wrapper evenly
- Sprinkle the chopped green scallion evenly on wrapper
- Fold the wrapper in one direction
- Use a knife to cut it into sections of equal size
- Stack two sections together
- Pressing them down in the middle with chopsticks,
- Holding the ends in both hands,
- Bending them down and letting the ends bond.
- Transfer to a steamer cold water, bring to a boil, steaming them for 15 minutes.