After going to Guangzhou to eat local delicacies, I really know what “eating in Guangzhou” is. The Chinese call the locals in Guangzhou“ Lao Guang” who know how to cook and serve nice food there, and they also love this name. As a foodie, Lao Guang’s Cantonese soup, congee, green vegetables and morning tea all fascinate me.
Northerners eat porridge with relatively simple ingredients, but Cantonese porridge will be added a variety of ingredients to make a bowl of porridge into a delicious and comfortable food. There are two kinds of Cantonese porridge that are raw boiling porridge and old fire porridge. The raw boiling porridge is made a pot of congee first, and then the ingredients are put in and cooked through. The old fire porridge means all the ingredients are put in for a few hours of cooking, just like cantonese old fire soup.
Today’s Pork congee with preserved egg is my usual porridge recipe. Many people don’t like preserved eggs, the same as stinky beans. But as a food with thousands of years of history, it has rich nutrition and taste. Pork minced, preserved egg, and congee are the perfect group in the congee.
Usually the ginger thin shredded, oil, and salt are essential ingredients for Cantonese congee. We used ginger sliced to remove the meat or seafood smell, and used oil and salt to make congee more thicker and smoother.
Cut the ginger as thinly as possible，We will naturally eat the ginger shredded instead of spit it out. This is the time to test your knife skills.
Pork congee with preserved eggs
- electric pressure cooker
- or instant pot
- 40 gram rice
- 700 ml water
- 120 gram pork, sliced
- 1 teaspoon oil for marinating pork
- 1/2 teaspoon salt for marinating pork
- 12 gram ginger, sliced thinly
- 1/4 tea salt
- One preserved egg, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 tablespoon
- 8 gram scallion, chopped
- Add water and washed rice to the instant pot, press congee buttion until it is done
- Marinated pork sliced with oil and salt for 10 minutes
- Add cooked congee and marinated pork, ginger shredded, 1/4 tablespoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, preserved egg pieces to a pot, heat over medium-small fire，bring to a boil, stirring while cooking for about 10-15 minutes until cooked through.
- Top with chopped scallion, serve