Today’s Shanghai-Style Red Vegetable Soup(Luo Song Tang) which was brought to Shanghai of China by the Russians in 19th century did not originate in China. After the improvement of the people of Shanghai, we get this version. I think every kitchen will make a different taste.Adding more ingredients or whichever ingredient you like, getting a bowl of soup you love is the ultimate goal.
The rich flavor of Luo Song Tang is what attracts me the most, not only because of the variety of vegetables, but beef soup is its soul. With this beef soup, the original taste of vegetables is more prominent. With the sourness of tomatoes, your appetite will also open up.
It takes at least 2 hours to boil the beef broth on low heat, and the broth will be reduced. In need of a time-saving modern kitchen, the pressure cooker helped a lot. Just put the beef and water in, after 45 minutes, the beef is cooked and the soup is still so much.
Which part of the beef
The authentic version uses sirloin which has a little fat, makes the bite more chewy and the richer beef broth. But I only have beef tenderloi in my refrigerator.
How many kinds of vegetables
Onion, carrot, potato, cabbage, tomato are standard configuration, and some people put celery too.
What to pair with the soup
The traditional version is bread which is the Russian’s staple food. For Chinese, a variety of wheaten food or rice is also a nice match.
After trying a few times, I think adding tomato sauce and black pepper powder is necessary before eating, which will make the soup more delicious.
Shanghai-Style Red Vegetable Soup(Luo Song Tang)
- electric pressure cooker
- 100 gram beef, cut into cubes, one bite size
- potato, 150 gram, cut into small cubes
- 100 gram onion, cut into small pieces
- 140 gram cabbage, sliced
- 200 gram carrot, cut into small pieces
- 430 gram tomato, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Blanching the beef cubes, then add to pressure cooker, add 4 cup water, Press the cook meat button, then after 45 minutes, get beef broth.
- Add 2 tablespoon oil to a wok, add all the vegetables, stir-frying for 5 minutes
- Transfer to the beef broth pot, boiling together for about 20 minutes until cooked through
- Add ketchup, black pepper powder and salt before serving.