No appetite in hot summer? Just have a bowl of sweet and sour cold noodles. Whether served as a light lunch or a refreshing dinner on a hot summer day, cold noodles make for a delightful culinary experience. The combination of chewy noodles, savory toppings, and sweet and sour beef broth provides the perfect balance of flavors and textures.
What are cold noodles?
Cold noodles are a popular dish among Ethnic Koreans living in Northeast China (including Jilin, Liaoning and other provinces). Influenced by Korean culinary traditions, these cold noodles offer the perfect combination of flavor, texture, and refreshing quality.
What kind of noodles are usually used for cold noodles？
Noodles are usually made from buckwheat or starchy ingredients such as sweet potato or potato starch. This gives the noodles their characteristic texture and allows them to hold up well in cold dishes.
What side dishes are usually used？
The most common toppings in cold noodles include sliced hard-boiled eggs, sliced beef, sliced tomato, shredded apple, shredded cucumbers, pickled radishes, kimchi, and sometimes shredded chicken. These toppings add layers of flavor and give dishes a satisfying crunch.
- Egg, boil one egg until cooked through, then cut it in half.
- Beef sliced, cook beef until cooked through, then cut it into slices.
- Tomato sliced, wash the tomato, then cut into slices.
- Shredded cucumber, wash and peel the cucumber, cut into thin strips.
- Shredd apple, wash and peel the apple, shredded.
- Kimichi, is a traditional Korean side dish made of fermented vegetables along with various seasonings. Kimchi for cold noodles is usually made from bok choy or cabbage. I bought ready-made kimchi.
What are the ingredients for cold noodles sauce?
Cold noodle sauce usually requires vinegar, sugar, light soy sauce, and beef broth. You can also add other spices as needed.
- Vinegar, Most people use white vinegar, but rice vinegar can also be used. I used rice vinegar.
- Sugar, you can choose granulated sugar.
- Light soy sauce, ordinary soy sauce is fine, in order to increase the color and saltiness. You can get it from Asian grocery stores
- Beef broth, reserve the beef broth and filter it.
How to make beef broth?
Usually, soup is the soul of a bowl of noodles. Beef broth is indispensable for cold noodles.
The method is to boil the beef with water and spices, then reserve the broth and filter it. The spices for my beef cooking today are bay leaves, ginger slices and cinnamon. You can also add it according to the spices you have on hand. The main purpose is to remove the fishy smell of beef and increase its fragrance.
- Prepare the cold noodles.
2. Cook the beef and beef broth.
3. Mix the sauce for cold noodles.
4. Prepare the side dishes.
5. Boil the noodles, then arrange the side dishes on the noodles.Pour in the seasoned beef broth.
Sweet and Sour Cold Noodles
- Pot for boiling
- Buckwheat noodles, 150g
- For beef and beef broth
- Bay leaves, 3
- Cinnamon, 3 g
- Ginger, 10 g
- Water, 500 ml
- For soup
- Beef broth, 500 ml
- Sugar, 3 tbsp
- Light soy sauce, 2 tbsp
- Vinegar, 2 tbsp
- Other side dishes
- One apple, peeled and shredded
- One cucumber, peeled and shredded
- One tomato, sliced
- Kimchi, 20 g
- One Boiled Egg, cut in half
- Add beef, bay leaves, ginger, cinnamon, 500 ml water to a pressure cooker, cook for 30 minutes. Then remove the spices, cut the cooked beef into slices, filter the beef broth through a fine sieve.
- Separate 200 g buckwheat noodles one by one, soak in cold water for 20 minutes before boiling.
- Boil one egg until cooked through, cut in half.
- One apple and one cucumber, peeled and shredded.
- One tomato, sliced.
- Boil a pot of water, boil the buckwheat noodles for 2 minutes, transfer a to bowl with cold water, then drain.
- Arrange all the side dishes on the noodles, pour in the seasoned beef broth.