Today’s sweet and sour pork with pineapple is a famous classic Cantonese dish. The word 咕咾 comes from the noun for sound in Chinese language, which describes the sound of swallowing. It can be seen how delicious and tempting it is, making people drool when they see it.
The sweet and sour pineapple and the crispy pork are drizzled with the sweet and sour sauce, my favorite too. Because of the addition of fruit, it is more popular with children and women. The pork balls coated with starch and went through the oil with high temperature to be crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. When eating, you will feel the layers of richness. It is different from the famous double cooked pork slices which belongs to the Northeast dishes. The pork here are rolled into balls, and the shape is much more cute.
Every place has its own delicious and classic dishes. This sweet and sour pork with pineapple is what I fell in love with after I came to Guangdong, as well as Guangdong Laohuo Soup. One side of the water and soil raises the people of one place, so I will do as the locals do.
Yesterday was the waking of the insects solar term, which means that all kinds of animals and insects start to wake up from hibernation, all things start to recover, and they feel the air of spring. I also noticeably felt the warming of the weather. I hope that as the weather warms up, the COVID-19 will pass soon, and let us breathe fresh air as much as we can.
- Prepare the pineapple and sauce
- The pork cooking
Sweet and Sour Pork with Pineapple（菠萝咕咾肉）
- Wok for stir-frying
- Pot for deep-fried
- One part pineapple about 160 gram, cut into pieces
- For soaking the pineapple
- 600 ml water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Marinating the pork
- Lean pork about 380 gram, sliced
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper corn powder
- For deep frying
- 80 gram corn starch
- For sweet and sour sauce
- 7 tablespoon water
- 4 tablespoon ketchup
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoon vinegar
- For deep-frying: 2 cup oil
- Add the pineapple to the enough water with 1 tablespoon salt and 1 tablespoon sugar for 1 hour, then sliced
- Add light soy sauce, peppper corn powder, and cooking wine to the pork sliced, marinating for 10 minutes.
- Add the conr starch to the marinated prok, let every slice be in the starch, make every one into the ball， secure with toothpicks.
- Add water, ketchup, sugar, vinegar to a bowl, mixed well .
- Add oil to the pot for deep-frying, heat over medium heat, add the pork balls, deep frying until cooked though, transfer to a plate, remove the toothpicks.
- Add the sauce to another pot, bring to a boil, add the fried pork balls, mixed well, then turn off the heat.
- Serve warm.