The Yellow Emperor’s Classic of Internal Medicine says: winter is the season of collection when the body needs to be supplemented with nutrients to prepare for the energy consumption of the second year.The traditional winter melon soup is a soup that Chinese people often use to nourish.
From the perspective of traditional Chinese medicine, winter melon is cold in nature and mutton is warm in nature, this perfect combination has the effect of tonifying deficiency and removing cold, and promoting body fluid and urination. Actually this soup is suitable for all seasons, not just winter, because the coldness and heatness are balanced.
When I came to Guangdong, I learned a habit of making meat-related soups, that is, all meats should be blanched. Many people make this mutton soup by soaking it in cold water for 1-2 hours in advance. The method is different, but it does not affect the taste.
Unlike mutton soup with ginger and angelica sinensis, no electric pressure cooker was used to cook the soup this time. Use a regular pot to boil the mutton first until cooked, then add the winter melon. Winter melon is a relatively easy-to-cook vegetable, put it in at the end, cook for a few more minutes, and the soup will be ready. There’s nothing more comforting than a warm bowl of lamb soup in the cold winter. This nourishing soup takes care of your health and your taste, and is well worth trying.
Winter Melon Soup with Mutton
- Pot for boiling
- Soup pot for boiling
- 200 gram mutton , cut into pieces for one bite size
- One part winter melon, peeled and cored, sliced about 300 gram
- 12 gram ginger, sliced
- Two parts scallion, about 30 gram
- 9 pieces corn pepper
- 1500 ml water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Two coriander, chopped
- Blanching the mutton, remove foam and rinse under cold water，then transfer to another soup pot
- Add scallion, ginger sliced, conr pepper to the pot with mutton blanched, add about 1500 ml water, bring to a boil, then heat over low heat, boiling about one hour until cooked through
- Add winter melon, keep boiling until cooked, add the salt, turn off the heat.
- Top with coriander chopped, serve warm.