In China, wood ear mushroom is known as the king of vegetarian diet because of its high nutritional value. It is low in fat and calories but rich in protein and other nutrients. It has anti-tumor, lipid-reducing, anti-diabetic and anti-coagulant activity and cardioprotective properties.
The wood ear mushroom salad I shared today is a dish I often eat. I have to say that it is such a simple, delicious and healthy salad.
It is best to use cold water for soaking wood ear mushrooms, and the time should not exceed 2 hours. If in the summer, we should soak the wood ear mushrooms in the refrigerator to prevent bacterial growth.
The recommended time for blanching time is 2-3 minutes. This will not effect the crisp taste. The main flavors come from sugar, rice vinegar, and red chili pepper. Usually Chinese put little sugar in Chinese salad in order to let it taste more fresh and flavorful.
wood ear mushroom salad
- pot for blanching
- 120 gram wood ear mushroom
- 5 cups water, for soaking wood ear mushrooms
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- one red chili (fresh or dried), chopped
- 3 green shallots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- soak wood ear mushrooms for one hour
- Cut the roots with scissors，tear large wood ear into small pieces
- blanch wood ear mushrooms for 2-3 minutes, take out and put them in the cold water
- take out and put them in a big bowl, add all other ingredients, mix well